[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Code review I7ec346db: Improve usability when backdoor_port is nonzero

Ray Pekowski pekowski at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 16:00:44 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Eric Windisch <eric at cloudscaling.com>wrote:

> Also, I'm wondering: if the common use-case will be to launch a service
> explicitly for debugging purposes (and not to run a 24/7 backdoor), then
> why not support a command-line argument (--debug or similar) that would
> disable forking and would put an eventlet backdoor on STDIN / STDOUT?

Well, I am at least one user of the backdoor functionality and my use case
is that of a performance test environment.  I want whichever service is the
bottleneck to be available for call stack dumps (cheap profiling).  I don't
have prior knowledge of which service it might be.  And I use automated
deployment, so I don't want to go to each of my OpenStack machines and
restart every service after deployment.  I want to deploy a performance
test environment with full debug enabled.

Ray