[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Code review I7ec346db: Improve usability when backdoor_port is nonzero

Ray Pekowski pekowski at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 15:01:17 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I don't consider it broken either and I agree with the support
> for unix sockets.

I see I am in in the minority here and I'm guessing it is due to some lack
of common knowledge on my part.  Please explain how something that fails
100% of the time for a common use case is not broken.

The common use case is multiple services using the same config file.
backdoor_port allows for a non-zero value and most people will likely not
choose 0 as their first choice.  That will fail 100% of the time for all
but the first service.

> Also, I'd rather use a boolean that *always* pick a random port. It
> doesn't make sense to allow port hints if the user will have to "find
> out" what port was picked up anyways.

There is some value in the values being close to a chosen number.  Because
once you find out in either case, it is easier to remember that 8801 is
nova-api and 8802 is nova-compute than it is to remember 9281 is nova-api
and 3724 is nova-compute.

> We also have to consider that this is a major change and might break
> some deployments that are using it so, we better take a
> deprecation-path for the old argument - by warning users that it'll be
> deprecated in the Ith release or whatsoever.

+1 to that