[openstack-dev] Official Python 3 Policy

David Ripton dripton at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 17:24:34 UTC 2013

On 06/12/2013 01:14 PM, Eric Windisch wrote:
> As discussed previously on IRC, my understanding of the official policy
> as it stands now[1] is:
>

> "OpenStack will target its development efforts to latest Ubuntu/Fedora,
> but will endeavor to not introduce any changes that would make it
> impossibly or unnaturally difficult to run on the latest Ubuntu LTS or
> latest RHEL."
>

> Keeping the fact that Ubuntu LTS will no longer support Python 2.x as of
> 2014.4,  the current policy could be interpreted as an ultimatum to have
> dual-version support by the time the next LTS lands, or at least not to
> create new projects that cannot work on Python3.

Ubuntu 2014.4 has a goal of "only shipping Python 3 on the desktop CD
images."  That's very different from not supporting Python 2.  Of course
they'll still support Python 2.  They're just trying not to require it
for the base desktop packages.

We'll see if they meet that goal  2014.4 is only 10 months away.

David Ripton   Red Hat   dripton at redhat.com