[openstack-dev] [keystone] More on inherited domain roles

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Wed Jun 12 13:59:50 UTC 2013

Hi Tiwari

On 11/06/2013 21:18, Tiwari, Arvind wrote:
> Think about growing number of service and above mentioned requirement,
> we will end up with so many  roleDefs which will have duplicate
> capability and hence redundant info to maintain in policy. At the same
> time this solution does not address separation of concerns, we are
> unnecessary overloading the roleDefs to impose role inheritance behavior
> which is not its concern. The above mentioned requirement can be easily
> achievable by single roleDef (may be XYZ-role-Svc1) if we remove
> *inheritedTo * concern from roleDef and place it some ware else, role
> assignment is the right place to address this concern, how that we need
> to figure out.

There are many different components in RBAC, viz:

i) the specification of a role - its syntax, values etc
ii) the role assignment rules - who the role can be assigned to
iii) the permission assignment rules - which permissions can be assigned
to the role
iv) the delegation rules - whether the role is delegatable or not, by
whom, and to what depth,

to name just some of them. You may have others.

Modelling RBAC in Keystone will eventually need most (if not all plus
more) of the above to be held somewhere. The roleDefs table seems a
sensible place to hold the above, but of course, the information could
be distributed into multiple tables.

Any assignment of a role to a user must conform to ii) above.
Any assignment of a privilege to a role must conform to iii) above.
Any delegation of roles must conform to iv) above,
etc.

Unless I have misunderstood you, you seem to want to specify the rules
for role inheritance into the actual assignment of a role to a subject.
In my opinion this is the wrong place to specify the role assignment
rules, but it would be the right place to specify a dynamic assignment
restriction which is in conformity to the rules (if we want to allow
dynamic restrictions).

regards

David