[openstack-dev] Automation around binary dependencies

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 21:12:55 UTC 2013

I think I've found the time sink for the rest of my Monday
afternoon... thanks Robert!

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 20:50 +1200, Robert Collins wrote:

> I think it's great you've kicked this off - it's a great starting point
> for finding a workable solution. I'm actually kinda surprised we never
> had e.g. tools/install-deps.sh type scripts long ago.

We've talked about it and that's one reason I did split
install-deps.sh out of stack.sh.  The last I remember is that the
python deps needed some attention first, including getting the
handling of them out of DevStack, and it feel like we're there now.
Time to get busy...

> We could also use openstack/requirements to maintain a mapping of distro
> agnostic requirement name/version to distro specific package
> name/version. Maybe bindep would look use the distro mapping table to
> apply other-requirements.txt or maybe we'd have a utility to copy the
> appropriate parts of the mapping table into other-requirements.txt.

A quick tour through DevStack's apts/rpms/suse-rpms dir gives us a
reasonable idea of the granularity that is needed: distro and release
seem to be enough.  We have overlapped Fedora/RHEL and Ubuntu/Debian
because of their close relationships so the exceptions are manageable.

> would be a good first step. Using it in devstack would be next?

I'm game to try this out.  [he says before looking at the code ;) ]

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com