[openstack-dev] Failing temptest test for pending change

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 15:26:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 06/10/2013 09:48 AM, Alvaro Lopez wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I've submitted a change [1] for Keystone whose tests are failing, since
>> some tempest changes are made asumptions bases on the old behaviour.
>>
>> The proposed change increases the length of the user's name in the DB
>> up to 128 characters, instead of 64. Tempest is trying to create a user
>> with a username of lenght 65 and expects it to fail.
>>
>> How should I proceed? Should I submit a change to tempest to fix this,
>> even before knowing if my original change seems reasonable to be merged?
>> Should I wait for my change to get some feedback before sending the
>> modified test for tempest?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alvaro.
>>
>> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#**/c/22694/<https://review.openstack.org/#/c/22694/>
>>

> Typically the route is propose the tempest change, and get core
> contributors from the core project (this time keystone) to +1 it (saying
> that they agree with the change).
>
> The core team for keystone would need to believe that this doesn't
> represent an API change without a version bump. And that
> python-keystoneclient would do the right things with a new client on an
> older system. But I'll leave that up to them.

This definitely doesn't represent an API change, and would be backwards
compatible with existing clients (this validation is only performed server
side, anyway).

Following Chmouel's comment on the review, I'm wondering if it would be
possible to preserve the existing default but make this value configurable
moving forward (which would mean no changes in tempest). I'll save that
discussion for the code review, but wanted to mention the possibility of
not affecting tempest here.