[openstack-dev] Moniker renamed to Designate, and applies for Incubation.

Mac Innes, Kiall kiall at hp.com
Mon Jun 10 13:30:26 UTC 2013

On 10/06/13 14:13, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10 2013, Russell Bryant wrote:
>
>> Why is this a separate project from OpenStack Networking?
>>
>> What makes some services appropriate for OpenStack Networking (Load
>> Balancing, VPN), but not others (in this case, DNS)?
> Funny question, I'm not really shocked by that actually.
> LB or VPN services have a tendency to operate at IP layer and possibly
> mess with routing or network traffic, where as DNS is just a query/reply
> service.

This is exactly our thinking :)

OpenStack Networking, to me, is about moving bits from one point to to
another. Routing, Load Balancing and VPN all fit this description
perfectly. DNS on the other hand is about deciding where to send those
bits - as Julien says: a Request/Response service.

Thanks,
Kiall