[openstack-dev] [Quantum] VM instances created on two devstack instances cannot ping each other

Yuling_C at DELL.com Yuling_C at DELL.com
Mon Jun 10 07:09:38 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I installed two devstack instances on two physical servers. Both physical servers connect to a same physical switch. I configured cisco plugin overlay on top of ovs plugin. I also turned on VLAN network type. I created one VM instance on physical server 1, and another VM instance on physical server 2. However, I was not able to ping from VM1 to VM2.

On each physical server, I

1.      manually created br-eth1, which connects to physical NIC eth1.

ovs-vsctl add-br br-eth1

ovs-vsctl add-port br-eth1 eth1

eth1 on each physical server connects to the data network.

2.      I configured the physical switch port to be tagged vlan with the same vlan id as what was allocated to both VM instances on these two devstack servers.

3.      Both of the VM instances were created on the same network with same vlan id.

I'm not sure why VM1 could not ping VM2? Did I miss any steps?

Thanks,

YuLing