[openstack-dev] [OSLO] New Messaging API - Mark are you around?

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Fri Jun 7 16:21:57 UTC 2013

Also, why are you spawning a greenthread when sending a cast ?
We need to create a socket and send to it. These are blocking operations. They're generally fast, but they are blocking. The idea was to let these loose in a greenthread as quickly as possible. This could be done higher in the abstraction.
One thing I'm thinking about after seeing this "real" driver is that
whatever I/O framework you're using, you'll have one thread/coroutine
that's a server pulling off messages and dispatching them and other
threads/coroutines blocked in call() waiting to pull its reply off the
queue. I think that's what we're doing now with eventlet and the kombu
and qpid drivers at least, but I'm not sure yet there aren't nasty
issues implied for other drivers or I/O frameworks.
With the ZeroMQ driver, "consume_in_thread" is actually, "consume in threads". It spawns multiple coroutines.

Regards,

Eric Windisch