[openstack-dev] [Heat] On how to handle multiple template formats

Thomas Spatzier thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com
Fri Jun 7 08:05:39 UTC 2013

Hi Angus,

thanks for sharing those examples. I have some questions below.

Regards,
Thomas

Angus Salkeld <asalkeld at redhat.com> wrote on 07.06.2013 05:57:15:

> From: Angus Salkeld <asalkeld at redhat.com>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org,
> Date: 07.06.2013 06:05
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Heat] On how to handle multiple template
formats

> On 27/05/13 13:10 +0200, Zane Bitter wrote:
> >Or, more specifically, _where_ to handle multiple template formats.
>
> [snip]
>
> So I just want to show how this and the environment stuff I busy
> with can work together:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/heat
> +branch:master+topic:bp/environments,n,z
> (after some rework, from the feedback)
>
> I'll change the environment format to look like this (based on
> Randall's idea):
>
> #Use case 1: I want to use all the resource types from provider X
> resource-registry:
>    "OS::*": "Dreamhost::*"
>    # could also use a url like this (assuming they could all be
>    # expressed in nested stacks)
>    "OS::*": http://dreamhost.com/bla/resources-types/*"
>
> #Use case 2: I want to use mostly the default resources except my
> custom one for a particular resource in the template.
> resource-registry:
>    resources:
>      my_db_server:
>        "OS::DBInstance": file://~/all_my_cool_templates/db.yaml

What does my_db_server above mean? In each template where a resource with
name my_db_server of type OS::DBInstance is used, the special resource will
be used?

Talking about pointers to files: so the above example tells the engine to
fetch a file at some point. So what about the environment itself? Is this a
file I post a some point before template deployment? Or do I reference it
when I do a stack-create?

> #Use case 3: I always want to always map resource type X to Y
> resource-registry:
>    "OS::Networking::FloatingIP": "OS::Nova::FloatingIP"
>    "OS::Loadbalancer": file://~/all_my_cool_templates/lb.yaml
>
> #Use case 4: I use custom resources a lot and want to shorten the
> url/path
> resource-registry:
>    base_url: http://bla.foo/long/url/
>    resources:
>      my_db_server:
>        "OS::DBInstance": dbaas.yaml
>
> #Use case 5: I need to override a resource property in the template
> properties:
>    global:
>    resources:
>      my_db_server:
>        ImageId: thisone_works_better
>        InstanceType: x1.large
>
> #Use case 6: I need to override a resource property in the template
> (for all resources)
> properties:
>    global:
>        username: foo
>        pass: thewiggles
>    resources:

Hm, global overrides could be tricky, unless you really always pass the
environment with the template when doing stack-create (see my question
earlier).
But aren't we loosing something about a real environment concept when it is
always so tightly coupled with a template?

> Some notes on the above:
> - there is no external concept of a provider, we only map resource types
>    and templates to official resource types (OS::bla..). This way your
>    template always uses "OS::.." and we map cloud specific or custom
>    resource types to those.
> - the heat client gets the file:// templates and adds them to the
>    files section in Zane's proposal.
> - the api or engine gets the url based templates
> - there is no need to upload the templates ahead of time (but we
>    _could_ still support that) - refering to:

I would really like to have the ability to upload (i.e. define)
environments upfront as described on the wiki. This would be very similar
to nova flavors. You define then at some point with 'nova flavor-create'
then reference them later.
In the same way, I would image the definition of a test or production
environment, and then I deploy to those environments.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-May/008703.html