[openstack-dev] How to spin up 500VMs in devstack

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 17:22:31 UTC 2013

TL;DR
Using this patch (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/31876/) set
'VIRT_DRIVER=fake' in your devstack rc file.  And now you can try spawning
up as many VMs as you want.

I have just proposed a patch to devstack to use nova's fake virt driver.
 This can be used to see how OpenStack runs when trying to launch hundreds
or thousands of VMs at once. Turns out it runs really really slowly.

I am sending out this to the mailing list to ask for help testing (and
filing bugs) using this, so that we as community can be more confident
things will work at scale (defined as number of VMs here).

best,
Joe