[openstack-dev] [Quantum] REST-based ML2 MechanismDriver

Luke Gorrie luke at tail-f.com
Wed Jun 5 10:11:35 UTC 2013

Howdy!

Great work Bob & all on getting the ML2 plugin code onto master, exciting
stuff :-)))

I want to use the upcoming ML2 MechanismDriver to make REST requests to an
external system. Is anybody else interested in this too and planning
related work? If so then perhaps we could join forces.

I am flexible with respect to the exact REST API design. In principle I
would favor something as close as possible to the raw MechanismDriver API.

I am doing this work to integrate with the Tail-f Network Control System
(NCS). The blueprint for this work was approved this morning for Havana.
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/tailf-ncs

NCS will be customized to support the REST API that we develop on the
OpenStack side. So there are no legacy/compatibility constraints on how the
REST API needs to look from my perspective.

I am guessing that the maintainers of the BigSwitch plugin would be
interested, being as that is also REST-based and may want to be updated to
fit into ML2?

So please give me a ping if you are interested in MechanismDriver+REST, or
point me at where I can find people who are :-)

Cheers,
-Luke