[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Ceilometer and nova compute cells

Sam Morrison sorrison at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 23:55:14 UTC 2013

Hi,

There is a blueprint [1] that I'd like to get involved with. I know quite a bit about cells but not much about ceilometer.
I'm trying to figure out all the message flows to see where the best place would be to intercept the message and forward it up to a higher level rabbit server.
Essentially I want to make ceilometer hierarchical so I don't think it is nova-cells specific and could be totally separate.
Our architecture is around multiple cells, at each cell they have their own nova-computes and they also have their own glance-api, swift-proxy and cinder-volume (with central glance-reg and cinder-api/cinder-scheduler)

Does everything that gets stored in the datastore go through the ceilometer.collector.metering queue?
If so maybe the collector could instead of storing the message forward these messages to another rabbit server where another collector is running who in turn either forwards it up or stores it in the datastore (or both maybe)
I think the confusing thing to me is how notification messages get into ceilometer. The collector does 2 things I think? And it seems to leave the messages on the notification.info queue to build up?

The central agent would work with no changes and would just run at the top level so that's an easy one.

Cheers,
Sam

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+spec/nova-cell-support