[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS][VPNaaS][FWaaS] Dealing with logical logical configurations

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Jul 30 08:06:14 UTC 2013

It is my personal opinion that there is no necessary condition between
'having the possibility of leaving a resource without service provider' and
'API users want to create resources without service providers'.
While being able to change the 'provider' associated with a resource is a
reasonable use case, albeit not one we might want to implement now,
unassociated resources as a valid use case need to be motivated better. The
possibility Eugene describes in his post - a service provider being deleted
- is probably not a 'regular' use case, but more the consequence of a
potentially error-prone operation.

Sticking to the concept that Neutron should hide as much as possible
details regarding backing technologies - and from what I gather providers
map 1:1 with backend technologies - I would say that the default action of
associating resource with a 'default' service provider still makes sense; I
am not convinced by the idea of having a 'No_op' service provider; I think
if an API user wants to create a resource, but does not want it to be
'implemented', the way to go would be to put it administratevely down,
regardless of the provider used.

Going back to the original issue - removal of a provider, I think we should
consider whether such an action is legal or not.
If it's not legal, then we might think about adding a check at startup
time: if service instances mapped to unknow providers are found, Neutron
may fail to start up.
It is also nteresting the case when the provider name is not changed, but
the driver is changed. I have reason to believe this might lead to a bit of
mayhem; it *might* be manageable, but probably for Havana it might be just
worth documenting that this kind of operation should just not be performed.

Salvatore