[openstack-dev] amending Trove incubation to support NRDB

Michael Basnight mbasnight at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 21:12:45 UTC 2013

Rackspace is interested in creating a redis implementation for Trove, as well as haomai wang is looking to leverage Trove for leveldb integration. Ive done a proof of concept for redis and it was ~200 lines of guest impl code and I had to make one small change to the core create API, but one that will be the new default for creating instances. It was adding a return of a root password. the other differences were the /users and /databases extensions for mysql were not working (for obvious reasons). The reason NRDB was not originally part of Trove was a decision that there was nothing to show that it has a valid impl without substantial differences to the API/core system [1]. See around 20:35:42. Originally we had petitioned for a RDDB / NRDB system [2].

The path for it is to basically add a redis.py to the guest impl and to instruct the api that redis is the default (config file). Then the api/functionality behaves the same. Feel free to ask questions on list before the tc meeting!

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2013/tc.2013-04-30-20.02.log.html
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReddwarfAppliesForIncubation#Summary: