[openstack-dev] [Nova] support for multiple active scheduler policies/drivers

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Mon Jul 29 15:15:22 UTC 2013

It is certainly an interesting idea to have a policy service managed via
APIs, and to have scheduler as a potential consumer of such as service.
However, I suspect that this requires more discussion, and certainly can't
be added for Havana (you can count on me to suggest it as a topic for the
upcoming design summit).

Moreover, I think the currently proposed implementation (incorporating
some of the initial feedback provided in this thread) introduces 80% of
the value, with 20% of the effort and complexity.

If anyone has specific suggestions on how to make it better without adding
another 1000 lines of code -- I would be more than glad to adjust.

IMO, it is better to start simple in Havana, start getting feedback from
the field regarding specific usability/feature requirements earlier rather
than later, and incrementally improve going forward. The current design
provides clear added value, while not introducing anything that would be
conceptually difficult to change in the future (e.g., no new APIs, no
schema changes, fully backwards compatible).

By the way, the inspiration for the current design was the multi-backend
support in Cinder, where a similar approach is used to define multiple
Cinder backends in cinder.conf, and to use a simple logic to select the
appropriate one at runtime base on the name of the corresponding section.

Regards,
Alex

P.S. the code is ready for review.. Jenkins is still failing, but this
seems to be due to a bug which has been reported, fixed and will be merged
soon.

<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>,