[openstack-dev] Discussing Amazon API compatibility [Nova][Swift]

Burt Holzman burt at fnal.gov
Sat Jul 27 18:52:56 UTC 2013

I wrote that patch, so now I feel qualified to jump in this thread. :)

> However, I will say that developers write code to scratch an itch -- or
> some product manager's itch. So the fact that nobody is all that
> interested in spending time to code up enhanced EC2 API support in Nova
> is, well, quite telling that the demand for such things is less than
> what some people think.

I know that my user community has little to no experience with openstack
development, but our still nascent cloud infrastructure is built around
tools that speak EC2. API translation layers like Deltacloud are just
another layer we'd need to deploy, operate, monitor, and so on, and on
the whole I think we'd prefer for the compatibility to be built-in
rather than yet another service.

I disagree about measuring user demand -- it's not a great metric here.
When I tried to throw an issue over the wall to nova development, it got
thrown back and I was asked to sign the CLA and contribute directly*. I
think it's tough to gauge user demand if that's the usual answer to
missing API bits.

- B

* I'm not complaining about this -- it's the model for community-driven
development. (And I can only contribute parasitically, development isn't
my day job.)