[openstack-dev] [Glance] property protections -- final call for comments

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Fri Jul 26 18:56:13 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM, <stuart.mclaren at hp.com> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Firstly, thanks for all your great work here!
>
> Some feedback:
>
> 1) Is there a clash with existing user properties?
>
> For currently deployed systems a user may have an existing property 'foo:
> bar'.
> If we restrict property access (by virtue of allowing only owner_xxx)
> can the user update this previously existing property?

No, a user would not be able to update the previously existing property.
However, I do not view requiring "owner_" as a prefix for generic metadata
properties to be the typical use case, so I am not concerned about this
conflict. Those who wish to take on the extra responsibility of completely
isolating owner metadata into a prefix may also take on the responsibility
of migrating existing general properties to that prefix.

> 2) "A nice feature of this scheme is that the cloud provider can pick an
> arbitrary
> informal namespace for this purpose and educate users appropriately."
>
> How about having the user properties area be always the same?
> It would be more consistent/predictable -- is there a down side?

I'm not sure that the need is great enough--the downside is that this user
properties area may not be appropriate for a majority of deployers.