[openstack-dev] [Stackalytics] 0.1 release

Gareth academicgareth at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 10:21:57 UTC 2013

A suggestion:

sort bugs number as int is much better than string, because '112' < '8' but
actually 112 > 8

http://stackalytics.com/companies/unitedstack

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Alex Freedland <afreedland at mirantis.com>wrote:

> Roman,
>
> Thank you for your comment. I agree that is should not be the only way to
> look at the statistics and that is why Stackalytics also measures the
> number of contributions and soon will add the number of reviews. I do,
> however, think it a useful statistic as because not all commits are created
> equal.
>
> To your argument that the developers will write longer code just for the
> sake of statistics, I think this will not happen en mass. First and
> foremost, the developers care about their reputations and knowing that
> their code is peer-reviewed, very few will intentionally write inefficient
> code just to get their numbers up. Those few who will choose this route
> will lose the respect of their peers and consequently will not be able to
> contribute as much.
>
> Also, in order to deal with the situations where people can manipulate the
> numbers, Stackalytics allows anyone in the community to correct the line
> count where it does not make sense.  (
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Stackalytics#Commits_metrics_corrections_and_a_common_sense_approach
> ).
>
> We welcome any other improvements and suggestions on how to make OpenStack
> statistics more transparent, meaningful and reliable.
>
> Alex Freedland
>

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Roman Prykhodchenko <
> rprikhodchenko at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
>> I still think counting lines of code is evil because it might encourage
>> some developers to write longer code just for statistics.
>>
>> On Jul 23, 2013, at 16:58 , Herman Narkaytis <hnarkaytis at mirantis.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> Mirantis <http://www.mirantis.com/> is pleased to announce the release
>> of Stackalytics <http://www.stackalytics.com/> 0.1. You can find
>> complete details on the Stackalytics wiki<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Stackalytics> page,
>> but here are the brief release notes:
>>
>>    - Changed the internal architecture. Main features include advanced
>>    real time processing and horizontal scalability.
>>    - Got rid of all 3rd party non-Apache libraries and published the
>>    source on StackForge under the Apache2 license.
>>    - Improved release cycle tracking by using Git tags instead of
>>    approximate date periods.
>>    - Changed project classification to a two-level structure: OpenStack (core,
>>    incubator, documentation, other) and StackForge.
>>    - Implemented correction mechanism that allows users to tweak metrics
>>    for particular commits.
>>    - Added a number of new projects (Tempest, documentation, Puppet
>>    recipes).
>>    - Added company affiliated contribution breakdown to the user's
>>    profile page.
>>
>> We welcome you to read, look it over, and comment.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> --
>> Herman Narkaytis
>> DoO Ru, PhD
> [...]

Gareth

*Cloud Computing, OpenStack, Fitness, Basketball*
*OpenStack contributor*
*Company: UnitedStack <http://www.ustack.com>*
*My promise: if you find any spelling or grammar mistakes in my email from
Mar 1 2013, notify me *
*and I'll donate $1 or ¥1 to an open organization you specify.*