[openstack-dev] [Swift] erasure codes, digging deeper

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Wed Jul 24 19:15:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 12:31:02 -0500
Chuck Thier <cthier at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm with Chmouel though.  It seems to me that EC policy should be chosen by
> the provider and not the client.  For public storage clouds, I don't think
> you can make the assumption that all users/clients will understand the
> storage/latency tradeoffs and benefits.

Would not a tiered pricing make them figure it out quickly?
Make EC cheaper by the factor of cost of storage used and voila.

At first I also had a violent reaction to this kind of exposure
of internals. After all S3 went this far while being entirely
opaque. But we're not S3, that's the key.

-- Pete