[openstack-dev] Usage of mox through out the Openstack project.

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 18:19:55 UTC 2013

I think moving towards mock is a better long term strategy:

a) I don't you're correct that it's the most familiar for most python
developers. By PyPi installs (A TERRIBLE METRIC, but it's all we have).
Mock has 24k in the last week, mox has 3.5k
b) mock is a part of the standard library starting with python 3.3, this
will lead to even more adoption.

Alex

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Chuck Short <chuck.short at canonical.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> The use of mox (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mox/0.5.3) across the test
> suites in the Openstack project is quite extensive. This is probably due to
> the fact that it is the most familiar mocking object framework for most
> python developers.
>
> However there is big drawback with using mox across all of the OpenStack
> projects is that it is not python3 compatible. This makes python3
> compliance problematic because we want the test suites to be compatible as
> well.
>
> While thinking about this problem for a while now, while helping porting
> OpenStack over to python3 there is a couple of options that as a project
> can do as a whole:
>
> 1. Change mox usage to more python3 friendly such as mock. (
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mock/1.0.1). However this will cause alot of
> code churn in the projects as we move away from mox to mock.
>
> 2. Use the python3 fork called pymox (https://github.com/emonty/pymox).
> This project has reasonable compatibility with mox and is python3
> compatible. Using this option causes less code churn. IMHO this would be
> the better option.
>
> I would like to hear peoples opinion on this.
>
> Thanks
> chuck

GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084