[openstack-dev] Discussing Amazon API compatibility [Nova][Swift]

Chmouel Boudjnah chmouel at enovance.com
Wed Jul 24 18:02:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org> wrote:
> Do you think OpenStack should have an ongoing effort to imitate Amazon's
> API? If you think it should, how would you lead the effort?

We (Swift) moved the S3 compatibiliy middleware out of core swift for
quite some in its own github repository[1] maintained by fujita and so
far this has been working well for us, since most of the Swift core
don't know (or care I guess) about S3 API and fujita does this
ensuring it works.

I personally don't see an advantage of having to support S3 (it's
basically a constant screenscraping) but like monty said I care much
more about facilitating migration for our users.

Chmouel.

[1] https://github.com/fujita/swift3