[openstack-dev] Python 3

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Jul 24 16:00:30 UTC 2013

On 07/23/2013 03:02 PM, Brian Curtin wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Eric Windisch <eric at cloudscaling.com
> <mailto:eric at cloudscaling.com>>
>  wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Logan McNaughton <logan at bacoosta.com
>> <mailto:logan at bacoosta.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I'm sure this has been asked before, but what exactly is the plan
>>     for Python 3 support?
>>
>>     Is the plan to support 2 and 3 at the same time? I was looking
>>     around for a blue print or something but I can't seem to find
>>     anything.
>>

>> I suppose a wiki page is due.  This was discussed at the last summit:
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/havana-python3
>>
>> The plan is to support Python 2.6+ for the 2..x series and Python
>> 3.3+. This effort has begun for libraries (oslo) and clients. Work is
>> appreciated on the primary projects, but will ultimately become
>> stalled if the library work is not first completed.

I'd like to add that at some point in the future it is our desire to
drop support for 2.6, as supporting 2.7 and 3.3+ is way easier than also
supporting 2.6. At the moment, I believe our main factor on that is the
current version of RHEL. Fingers crossed for a new one soon... :)

We are also just finishing up getting 3.3 enabled build slaves in the CI
gate, so as projects get 3.3 compliant, we should be able to start
testing that.

> FWIW, I came across https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3Deps and
> updated "routes", which currently works with 3.3. One small step, for free!
>
> I'm a newcomer to this list, but I'm a CPython core contributor and am
> working in Developer Relations at Rackspace, so supporting Python 3 is
> right up my alley.

Excellent! Welcome, glad to have you.