[openstack-dev] Discussing Amazon API compatibility [Nova][Swift]

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Jul 24 15:51:20 UTC 2013

Hello

I have seen lots of discussions on blogs and twitter heating up around
Amazon API compatibility and OpenStack. This seems like a recurring
topic, often raised by pundits and recently joined by members of the
community. I think it's time to bring the discussions inside our
community to our established channels and processes. Our community has
established ways to discuss and take technical decisions, from the more
accessible General mailing list to the Development list to the Design
Summits, the weekly project meetings, the reviews on gerrit and the
governing bodies Technical Committee and Board of Directors.

While we have not seen a large push in the community recently via
contributions or deployments, Amazon APIs have been an option for
deployments from the early days of OpenStack.

I would like to have this discussion inside the established channels of
our community and get the opinions from those that maintain that
OpenStack should increase efforts for Amazon APIs compatibility, and
ultimately it would be good to see code contributions.

Do you think OpenStack should have an ongoing effort to imitate Amazon's
API? If you think it should, how would you lead the effort?

/stef