[openstack-dev] [savanna] scalable architecture

Sergey Lukjanov slukjanov at mirantis.com
Tue Jul 23 19:06:03 UTC 2013

There is an inaccuracy about savanna-conductor role in this document. Now we have no real reasons to make savanna-conductor as an separated service. The main goal of declaring savanna-conductor in this doc is to illustrate that we want to move all db-related operations to the single module that could be used as a separated service (if it’ll be needed in future) and make savanna able to work with db only using this module w/o direct db access. In fact we want only “local” mode for savanna-conductor now.

There are several potential reasons to implement savanna-conductor as a separated service in future. First of all, there are some ideas about provisioning savanna agents to the Hadoop clusters to monitor/manage cluster state, so, we’ll have the same security problem as nova. The second potential reason is that we are planning to advance tasks execution flow in savanna to support long running complex operations that will require additional management such as replying/rollbacking and conductor could be the service that will implement it.

Thank you for comment, I’ll update diagram and description to explain that currently there is no need to implement savanna-conductor.

Sincerely yours,
Sergey Lukjanov
Savanna Technical Lead
Mirantis Inc.