[openstack-dev] [Nova] support for multiple active scheduler policies/drivers

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Jul 23 16:19:48 UTC 2013

On 07/23/2013 12:02 PM, Alex Glikson wrote:

>> > This is not what we had in mind. Host aggregate is selected based on
>> > policy passed in the request (hint, extra spec, or whatever -- see
>> > below) and 'policy' attribute of the aggregate -- possibly in
>> > conjunction with 'regular' aggregate filtering. And not the other way
>> > around. Maybe the design document is not clear enough about this point.
>>
>> Then I don't understand what this adds over the existing ability to
>> specify an aggregate using extra_specs.
>
> The added value is in the ability to configure the scheduler accordingly
> -- potentially differently for different aggregates -- in addition to
> just restricting the target host to those belonging to an aggregate with
> certain properties. For example, let's say we want to support two
> classes of workloads - CPU-intensive, and memory-intensive. The
> administrator may decide to use 2 different hardware models, and
> configure one aggregate with lots of CPU, and another aggregate with
> lots of memory. In addition to just routing an incoming provisioning
> request to the correct aggregate (which can be done already), we may
> want different cpu_allocation_ratio and memory_allocation_ratio when
> managing resources in each of the aggregates. In order to support this,
> we would define 2 policies (with corresponding configuration of
> filters), and attach each one to the corresponding aggregate.

I understand the use case, but can't it just be achieved with 2 flavors
and without this new aggreagte-policy mapping?

flavor 1 with extra specs to say aggregate A and policy Y
flavor 2 with extra specs to say aggregate B and policy Z

>> > This is certainly an option. It would be just another implementation of
>> > the policy selection interface (implemented using filters). In fact, we
>> > already have it implemented -- just thought that explicit hint could be
>> > more straightforward to start with. Will include the implementation
>> > based on flavor extra spec in the next commit.
>>
>> Ok.  I'd actually prefer to remove the scheduler hint support
>> completely.
>
> OK, removing the support for doing it via hint is easy :-)
>
>> I'm not even sure it makes sense to make this pluggable.  I
>> can't think of why something other than flavor extra specs is necessary
>> and justifies the additional complexity.
>
> Well, I can think of few use-cases when the selection approach might be
> different. For example, it could be based on tenant properties (derived
> from some kind of SLA associated with the tenant, determining the
> over-commit levels), or image properties (e.g., I want to determine
> placement of Windows instances taking into account Windows licensing
> considerations), etc

Well, you can define tenant specific flavors that could have different
policy configurations.

I think I'd rather hold off on the extra complexity until there is a
concrete implementation of something that requires and justifies it.

--
Russell Bryant