[openstack-dev] [Nova] support for multiple active scheduler policies/drivers

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Tue Jul 23 04:24:14 UTC 2013

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/multiple-scheduler-drivers
> > [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/MultipleSchedulerPolicies
> > [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/37407/
>
> Thanks for bringing this up.  I do have some comments.

Thanks for the comments. See below.

> The current design shows 2 different use cases for how a scheduling
> policy would be chosen.
>
> #1 - policy associated with a host aggregate
>
> This seems very odd to me.  Scheduling policy is what chooses hosts, so
> having a subset of hosts specify which policy to use seems backwards.

This is not what we had in mind. Host aggregate is selected based on
policy passed in the request (hint, extra spec, or whatever -- see below)
and 'policy' attribute of the aggregate -- possibly in conjunction with
'regular' aggregate filtering. And not the other way around. Maybe the
design document is not clear enough about this point.

> #2 - via a scheduler hint
>
> It also seems odd to have the user specifying scheduling policy.  This
> seems like something that should be completely hidden from the user.
>
> How about just making the scheduling policy choice as simple as an item
> in the flavor extra specs?

This is certainly an option. It would be just another implementation of
the policy selection interface (implemented using filters). In fact, we
already have it implemented -- just thought that explicit hint could be
more straightforward to start with. Will include the implementation based
on flavor extra spec in the next commit.

> The design also shows some example configuration.  It shows a global set
> of enabled scheduler filters, and then policy specific tweaks of filter
> config (CPU allocation ratio in the example).  I would expect to be able
> to set a scheduling policy specific list of scheduler filters and
> weights, as well.

This is certainly supported. Just didn't want to complicate the example
too much. It could be even a different driver, assuming that the driver
complies with the 'policy' attribute of the aggregates -- which is
achieved by PolicyFilter in FilterScheduler. We plan to make other drivers
'policy-aware' in a future patch, leveraging the new db method that
returns hosts belonging to aggregates with compatible policies.

Hope this clarifies the concerns.

Regards,
Alex