[openstack-dev] The PCI support blueprint

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Mon Jul 22 16:49:17 UTC 2013

Per the last summit, there are many interested parties waiting on PCI
support.  Boris (who unfortunately waasn't there) jumped in with an
implementation before the rest of us could get a blueprint up, but I
suspect he's been stretched rather thinly and progress has been much
slower than I was hoping it would be.  There are many willing hands
happy to take this work on; perhaps it's time we did, so that we can
get something in before Havana.

I'm sure we could use a better scheduler.  I don't think that actually
affects most of the implementation of passthough and I don't think we
should tie the two together.  "The perfect is the enemy of the good."

And as far as the quantity of data passed back - we've discussed
before that it would be nice (for visibility purposes) to be able to
see an itemised list of all of the allocated and unallocated PCI
resources in the database.  There could be quite a lot per host (256
per card x say 10 cards depending on your hardware).  But passing that
itemised list back is somewhat of a luxury - in practice, what you
need for scheduling is merely a list of categories of card (those
pools where any one of the PCI cards in the pool would do) and counts.
 The compute node should be choosing a card from the pool in any case.
 The scheduler need only find a machine with cards available.

I'm not totally convinced that passing back the itemised list is
necessarily a problem, but in any case we can make the decision one
way or the other, take on the risk if we like, and get the code
written - if it turns out not to be scalable then we can fix *that* in
the next release, but at least we'll have something to play with in
the meantime.  Delaying the whole thing to I is just silly.
--
Ian.