[openstack-dev] A simple way to improve nova scheduler

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Mon Jul 22 14:43:43 UTC 2013

Russell,

To get information about "all" compute nodes we should wait one periodic
task (60 seconds by default).
So starting will take a while.

But I don't think that this is a big problem:
1) if we are already able to wait each time for heavy and long (> few
seconds) db querie
2) if we have more then one scheduler, we are always able to turn and
change one by one.
(I don't think that having for 5 minutes old and new schedulers will break
anything).

Also as a first step that could be done to speed up scheduler:
We could just remove db.compute_node_get_all() and send RPC calls directly
to schedulers.
I think that patch-set that change this thing will be pretty small
(~100-150 lines of code) and doesn't requirers big changes in current
scheduler implementation.

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic

Mirantis Inc.