[openstack-dev] [Nova] New DB column or new DB table?

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Fri Jul 19 10:18:58 UTC 2013

Ceilometer is a great project for taking metrics available in Nova and other systems and making them available for use by Operations, Billing, Monitoring, etc - and clearly we should try and avoid having multiple collectors of the same data.

But making the Nova scheduler dependent on Ceilometer seems to be the wrong way round to me - scheduling is such a fundamental operation that I want Nova to be self sufficient in this regard.   In particular I don't want the availability of my core compute platform to be constrained by the availability of my (still evolving) monitoring system.

If Ceilometer can be fed from the data used by the Nova scheduler then that's a good plus - but not the other way round.

Phil