[openstack-dev] [Nova] New DB column or new DB table?

Murray, Paul (HP Cloud Services) pmurray at hp.com
Thu Jul 18 14:44:54 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I would like to chip in with something from the side here (sorry to stretch the discussion out).

I was looking for a mechanism to do something like this in the context of this blueprint on network aware scheduling: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/network-bandwidth-entitlement Essentially the problem is that I need to add network bandwidth resource allocation information just like vcpu, memory and disk space already has. I could hard code this just as they are, but I can also think of a couple of others we would like to add that may be more specific to a given installation. So I could do with a generic way to feed this information back from the compute node to the scheduler just like this.

However, my use case is not the same - it is not meant to be for monitored/statistical utilization info. But I would like a similar mechanism to allow the scheduler to keep track of more general / extensible resource allocation.

Do you have any thoughts on that? Again, don't mean to deflect the discussion - just I have another use case.

Paul.