[openstack-dev] [Openstack] [cinder] Proposal for Ollie Leahy to join cinder-core

Walter A. Boring IV walter.boring at hp.com
Wed Jul 17 21:04:07 UTC 2013

> Just to point out a few things here, first off there is no guideline
> that states a company affiliation should have anything to do with the
> decision on voting somebody as core.  I have ABSOLUTELY NO concern
> about representation of company affiliation what so ever.
>
> Quite frankly I wouldn't mind if there were 20 core members from HP,
> if they're all actively engaged and participating then that's great.
>  I don't think there has been ANY incidence of folks exerting
> inappropriate influence based on their affiliated interest, and if
> there ever was I think it would be easy to identify and address.
>
> As far as "don't need more" I don't agree with that either, if there
> are folks contributing and doing the work then there's no reason not
> to add them.  Cinder IMO does NOT have an excess of reviewers by a
> very very long stretch.
>
> The criteria here should be review consistency and quality as well as
> knowledge of the project, nothing more nothing less.  If there's an
> objection to the individuals participation or contribution that's
> fine, but company affiliation should have no bearing.

+1 to Ollie from me.

+1 to John's points.   If a company is colluding with other core
members, from the same company, to do bad things within a project, it
should become pretty obvious at some point and the project's community
should take action.   If someone is putting in an extra effort to
provide quality code and reviews on a regular basis, then why wouldn't
we want that person on the team?  Besides, being a core member really
just means that you are required to do reviews and help out with the
community.  You do get some gerrit privileges for reviews, but that's
about it.   I for one think that we absolutely can use more core members
to help out with reviews during the milestone deadlines :)

Walt