[openstack-dev] [nova] non-default quota not set for new tenant - bug?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 17 13:02:03 UTC 2013

I'm wondering if this is a bug or working as designed and I'm just not
aware of the design point.

Running with the latest nova havana master level of code, I'm setting up
tenants and users for running Tempest on a RHEL 6.3 box.  I create two
tenants and two users, tempest1 and tempest2.  Before creating the tenants
and users I update the instance quota in nova.conf from 10 to 20 and
restart nova api, conductor, scheduler and compute services.

The problem is I'm eventually getting failures due to instance quota being
maxed out.  The weird thing is if I do quota-show on the tenant name, it
says the instance quota is 20, but if I query on the tenant ID, it says
the quota is 10. Here is the paste:

http://paste.openstack.org/show/40675/

So my questions are:

1. Should nova quota-show be showing me different things depending on if I
pass the name or ID of the tenant?
2. Since I'm creating the tenant/user after updating the default quotas in
nova.conf, shouldn't the tenant also get the default of 10?

I'm using the 2.13 python-novaclient.

Thanks,

MATT RIEDEMANN
Advisory Software Engineer
Cloud Solutions and OpenStack Development

Phone: 1-507-253-7622 | Mobile: 1-507-990-1889
E-mail: mriedem at us.ibm.com

3605 Hwy 52 N
Rochester, MN 55901-1407
United States