[openstack-dev] [DB][Migrations] Switching to using of Alembic

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Tue Jul 16 18:48:09 UTC 2013

David,

1. Dan Prince thing is equal useful and can help in both cases

2. We are not able to block all openstack for an half year to implement
your plan

3. We are able only to convert only grizzly migrations not havana (because
our customers should be able to switch from grizzly to havana)

4. We don't need to wait to make SQLAlchemy-migrate deprecated because
script that allows in same way to use alembic and migrate is almost ready.

5. I just don't understand, we are spending tons of times to fix and unify
work around DB in whole openstack. It is pretty complex and large task. And
we should choose the way that is simpler:

Our approach:
1) Migrate N migrations to alembic step by step (this work is pretty
simple) with tons of tests + Dan Prince method

Your approach:
1) Migrate N migrations to one big migrations (it is much more complex then
our 1 step)
2) Replace one really huge migration to one Really huge migration in
alembic (it is also more complex then our 1 step)

So instead on doing 1 long but simple step we are doing 2 complex. Could
you explain me why?

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic