[openstack-dev] [Change I30b127d6] Cheetah vs Jinja

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 13:51:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 09:41:55AM -0400, Solly Ross wrote:
> (This email is with regards to https://review.openstack.org/#/c/36316/)
>
> Hello All,
>
> I have been implementing the Guru Meditation Report blueprint
> (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/guru-meditation-report),
> and the question of a templating engine was raised.  Currently, my
> version of the code includes the Jinja2 templating engine
> (http://jinja.pocoo.org/), which is modeled after the Django
> templating engine (it was designed to be an implementation of the
> Django templating engine without requiring the use of Django), which
> is used in Horizon.  Apparently, the Cheetah templating engine
> (http://www.cheetahtemplate.org/) is used in a couple places in Nova.
>
> IMO, the Jinja template language produces much more readable templates,
> and I think is the better choice for inclusion in the Report framework.
>  It also shares a common format with Django (making it slightly easier
> to write for people coming from that area), and is also similar to
> template engines for other languages. What does everyone else think?

Repeating my comments from the review...

I don't have an opinion on whether Jinja or Cheetah is a better
choice, since I've essentially never used either of them (beyond
deleting usage of ceetah from libvirt). I do, however, feel we
should not needlessly use multiple different templating libraries
across OpenStack. We should take care to standardize on one option
that is suitable for all our needs. So if the consensus is that
Jinja is better, then IMHO, there would need to be an blueprint
+ expected timeframe to port existing Ceetah usage to use Jinja.

Regards,
Daniel