[openstack-dev] [Keystone] How to write unit tests for db methods?

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 15:44:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Akshat Kakkar <the_akshat at yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> As in my methods, I do not pass session object from outside so I am
> followin the unit test for catalog. But what I am unable to understand is
> that there are some test in test_backend.py and some in
> test_backend_sql.py. What is the difference in between the two?

Tests in test_backend.py are run against all implementations of a driver's
interface (KVS, SQL, LDAP, memcache, etc). Each driver type has a module
(e.g. test_backend_sql.py) that sets up & tears down a backend for the
driver, inherits tests from test_backend.py, overwrites/extends tests as
necessary to document exceptions to the expected behavior (e.g. LDAP
doesn't support multiple domains). Follow the inheritance hierarchy for any
given class in test_backend_sql.py to illustrate.

> *Sent:* Thursday, 11 July 2013 4:29 PM
>
> *Subject:* Re: [openstack-dev] [Keystone] How to write unit tests for db
> methods?
>
>  On 07/11/2013 05:23 AM, Akshat Kakkar wrote:
>

> The methods of read/write/update/delete of records in the tables are
> written using SQLalchemy only and no direct sql is used.
>
>  I have implemented the things on the lines of trusts only.  Similar to
> trusts, I am also having RESTful APIs and unit tests for them are
> succesfully written. In test_backend_sql.py, it is seen that no unit
> tests are defined for trusts. So, it's confusing for me to implement the
> unit test for my backend sql code.
>

> Yeah, trusts themselves are pretty simple as far as REST, and they are
> exercised via the Token backend code as well as test_auth.py and
> test_v3_auth.py.
>
> Look at the tests for identity and catalog, those should be a better
> example to follow.
>

>  I know I am confusing the things and I apologise for that, but I am
> asking because of that confusion only!

-Dolph