[openstack-dev] [keystone] sqlite doesn't support migrations

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jul 15 08:26:13 UTC 2013

On 07/12/2013 01:12 AM, Dolph Mathews wrote:
> Just as a general statement, outside the scope of openstack, I don't
> think sqlite is intended to support schema evolution. From the sqlite
> docs [1]: "SQLite supports a limited subset of ALTER TABLE. [...] It is
> not possible to rename a column, remove a column, or add or remove
> constraints from a table."
>
> We've been through hell trying to support migrations on sqlite, because
> we test against sqlite, and because we test our migrations... on sqlite.
> So, we've already shot ourselves in the foot. We're clearly moving
> towards gating against mysql + postgresql, so in the mean time, let's
> limit the amount of effort we put into further support sqlite migrations
> until we can safely rip it out altogether.
>
> [1]: http://www.sqlite.org/lang_altertable.html
>
> -Dolph

Dolph,

If you do that, then you will be breaking Debian packages, as they
expect Sqlite as the default, for example when using
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install keystone (if you choose
MySQL, then you need to enter admin credentials to setup the db). I will
receive tons of piupart failures reports if we can't upgrade with SQLite.

I would really be disappointed if this happens, and get into situations
where I have RC bugs which I can't realistically close by myself.

So really, if it is possible, continue to support it, at least from one
release to the next.

Thomas