[openstack-dev] [Neutron][docs] Why is the neutron security group extension disabled by default?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at us.ibm.com
Sun Jul 14 02:08:40 UTC 2013

I had to figure out via the code that unless you specify a firewall driver
in the neutron plugin's ini file (I'm using openvswitch in this case), the
neutron security group extension is disabled.

The admin doc tells you what to do in nova.conf to get nova to proxy
security group calls through neutron:

http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-network/admin/content/nova_config_security_groups.html

But there is no mention of setting the firwall_driver property in the
[securitygroup] section of your plugin's ini file.  For OVS, it would be
setting this:

http://gerrit.rtp.raleigh.ibm.com/gitweb?p=osee-tools.git;a=blob;f=install/build.include;h=2089a32f1da4ad92a61601a4d46a5b34b312f644;hb=refs/heads/osee-havana#l103

In nova, security groups work out of the box (well, at least they are
enabled, you still have to setup the rules).

Is there a design point of why the neutron security group extension is
disabled by default (maybe so it doesn't interfere with nova somehow)?  If
so, we can work on getting the docs updated.  Otherwise it seems like a
bug in the code.

Thanks,

MATT RIEDEMANN
Advisory Software Engineer
Cloud Solutions and OpenStack Development

Phone: 1-507-253-7622 | Mobile: 1-507-990-1889
E-mail: mriedem at us.ibm.com

3605 Hwy 52 N
Rochester, MN 55901-1407
United States