[openstack-dev] The danger of capping python-*clients in core projects, and forbidding it in the future

Dirk Müller dirk at dmllr.de
Thu Jul 11 15:35:39 UTC 2013

>> See for example https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1196823
> This is arguably a deficiency of mox, which (apparently?) doesn't let us mock properties automatically.

I agree, but it is just one example. other test-only issues can happen as well.

Similar problem: the *client packages are not self-contained, they
have pretty strict dependencies on other packages. One case I already
run into was a dependency on python-requests: newer python-*client
packages (rightfully) require requests >= 1.x. running those on a
system that has OpenStack services from Grizzly or Folsom installed
cause a conflict: there are one or two that require requests to be <
1.0.

When you run gating on this scenario, I think the same flipping would
happen on e.g. requests as well, due to *client or the module being
installed in varying order.

Greetings,
Dirk