[openstack-dev] The danger of capping python-*clients in core projects, and forbidding it in the future

Dirk Müller dirk at dmllr.de
Thu Jul 11 13:25:48 UTC 2013

Hi Thierry,

> Indeed. The whole idea behind a single release channel for python client
> libraries was that you should always be running the latest, as they
> should drastically enforce backward compatibility.

Well, backward compatibility can be tricky when it comes to test.
We've for example recently had an issue where the newer keystoneclient
broke mocking in tests. It is debateable if tests are part of the
backward compatibility or not.

See for example https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1196823

This is currently also preventing me from being able to get a change
on stable/grizzly past gating checks (which stumble on exactly this
"regression").

Greetings,
Dirk