[openstack-dev] The danger of capping python-*clients in core projects, and forbidding it in the future

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 22:07:16 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013, Sean Dague wrote:

> Yesterday in the very exciting run around to figure out why the gate was
> broken, we realized something interesting. Because of the way the gate
> process pip requirements (one project at a time), on a current gate run we
> actually install and uninstall python-keystoneclient 4 times in a normal
> run, flipping back and forth from HEAD to 0.2.5.
>
> http://paste.openstack.org/**show/39880/<http://paste.openstack.org/show/39880/>- shows what's going on
>
> The net of this means that if any of the projects specify a capped client,
> it has the potential for preventing that client from being tested in the
> gate. This is very possibly part of the reason we ended up with a broken
> python-keystoneclient 0.3.0 released.

> I think we need to get strict on projects and prevent them from capping
> their client requirements. That will also put burden on clients that they
> don't break backwards compatibility (which I think was a goal regardless).
> However there is probably going to be a bit of pain getting from where we
> are today, to this world.

Thanks for investigating the underlying issue! I think the same
policy should apply a bit further to any code we develop and consume
ourselves as a community (oslo.config, etc). I have no doubt that's the
standard we strive for, but it's all too easy to throw a cap into a
requirements file and forget about it.

> This is both a heads up, and a time for discussion, before we start
> figuring out how to make this better in the gate.
>
>         -Sean
>
> --
> Sean Dague
> http://dague.net