[openstack-dev] [Nova] Criteria for compute drivers

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 12:05:47 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Nova includes various compute drivers today, but the test coverage they
> receive varies quite a bit.  This is documented on the following wiki
> page.  The drivers are broken up into groups A, B, and C.
>
>     https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix
>
> We have two new compute drivers in the queue for Havana: docker [1] and
> z/vm [2].  I'd like to propose as a piece of criteria for inclusion that
> new drivers go into groups A or B.
>
> Further, I would like to see *all* drivers move into groups A or B by
> the release of Icehouse.  I've been told that this is already in the
> works for VMware and baremetal, at least.

And if a driver doesn't go into group A or B by Icehouse?  Do we put clear
warnings in the release notes that they are 'use at your own risk.' Perhaps
if drivers stay in C by the end of Icehouse Development we remove them, as
we have no way of guaranteeing they work and shipping broken code looks bad.