[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Best way to do something MySQL-specific?

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Jul 9 13:19:19 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 11:06 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Adam Young's message of 2013-07-08 17:32:30 -0700:
>> On 07/08/2013 04:35 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Adam Young's message of 2013-07-08 13:18:55 -0700:

>>> I'm not sure I understand you.
>>>
>>> * I am asking about millions of tokens, not roles.
>> Heh, I mean Rows, and somehow type roles.
>>
>>> * I am asking about MySQL.. presumably a "real" database.
>>    I have to admit I am a bit of a Postgresql Bigot. I don't really
>> consider MySQL a real database, althought it has improved a lot over the
>> years.  I am not up to speed on"InnoDB's gap locking behavior" but it is
>> not something I would expect to be a problem in Postgresql.
>>
> You may want to update your snark! MySQL has its warts which are pretty
> easy to take shots at, but it has been a "real" ACID compliant database
> for well over a decade.
My snark is more recently generated than that.  There are plenty of
places where MySQL has fallen down.

InnoDB support was not mandatory, and without it, MySQL was not really
ACID compliant.  Using InnoDB was troublesome enough that the RHEL 6
version of MySQL defaults to MyISAM.

> Please have a read at how InnoDB's isolation level handling works
> [1]. You can compare it to Postgres [2]. InnoDB's default isolation
> level, repeatable read, has a locking behavior that is particularly
> ugly for indexes like 'token.valid'. Put simply, you can't add more
> valid tokens until you're done deleting any valid expired tokens (if
> you mention valid in the delete, which flush_tokens does not).
>
> This is because token.valid == 1 may end up locked during the entire
> DELETE. The same could be true for expires too, even the primary key,
> though that is typically not locked with ranges.
>
> Yes, Postgres's behaviors are much more desirable here, as inserts almost
> go unmentioned in the postgres description of transaction isolation. But
> there are well documented ways of working around this weirdness. I had
> forgotten that one way is to use READ UNCOMMITTED. That should avoid
> any of the large range locks and work with MySQL, Postgres, and Sqlite.

I think the real solution is for us to stop writing tokens to the
Database.  If we are using PKI tokens, there is no need for a database
entry for valid tokens, only for revoked tokens.

That makes this whole thing into a non-problem.