[openstack-dev] Update on monitoring vs instrumentation?

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jul 9 12:00:35 UTC 2013

While StackTach is still under active development and has undergone many awesome enhancements since that page was written, we're working on porting it all to Ceilometer (CM).

Recently, CM added a UDP Collector, but don't think it's been tested against Tach. Tach + statsd + graphite is still a great quick way to get metrics from OpenStack, but we hope that CM will be able to do all of that and more.

Hope it helps.
-S
From: John Wood [john.wood at RACKSPACE.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 2:42 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List
Subject: [openstack-dev]  Update on monitoring vs instrumentation?

Hello folks,

I've found this page to be informative in trying to understanding monitoring vs instrumentation within OpenStack: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/UnifiedInstrumentationMetering

It is a bit dated though (from October last year I believe). I was curious if it still reflects current trends within OpenStack, especially in regards to favoring the use of Ceilometer for monitoring/auditing collection services, and the use of Tach/Stacktach feeding into Statsd/Graphite for lower level metrics gathering and display?

Thanks,
John