[openstack-dev] sqlalchemy 0.8 and Grizzly

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jul 8 13:51:51 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 04:11 PM, Boris Pavlovic wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I would prefer to avoid such things at this moment.
>
> First of all we are using different wrappers around sqlalchemy in
> different projects.
> There is a lot of hacks and they could probably produce hidden bugs.
>
> Also our db code is not fully covered by tests. So I would prefer to:
>
> 1) firstly use OSLO DB code in all projects. (this point is almost
> finished)
> 2) Implement these 2 blueprints in nova:
>  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/db-api-tests,
>  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/db-api-tests-on-all-backends
> 3) try to switch in Nova to sqla 0.8.2, if there will be no errors then
> we could safely switch to it in other projects.
>

> Best regards,
> Boris Pavlovic

Unfortunately, it isn't like if I had a choice. python-sqlalchemy is in
Sid, and it is there to stay. It's not my choice, I am not the
maintainer of python-sqlalchemy, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Plus OpenStack isn't the only consumer of python modules in a
distribution generally, and in Debian particularly. A simple
"apt-rdepends -r python-sqlalchemy" shows 25 direct dependencies (not
including OpenStack packages). This kind of disrupting changes *will*
happen again in Debian (because of the way Debian is maintained in
non-freeze periods), and it would be nice to keep this in mind.

Anyway, I will apply the patch from Fedora [1] to python-migrate as
Pádraig nicely suggested, and hopefully, there will be no problem! :) A
big thanks to him for the hint, by the way.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1]
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/python-migrate.git/commit/?id=603ed1d1