[openstack-dev] [horizon] python-selenium is non-free, Horizon shouldn't use it

Sascha Peilicke speilicke at suse.com
Thu Jul 4 14:28:52 UTC 2013

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 09:34:01AM -0400, Julie Pichon wrote:
>> Hi Sascha,

>>> This could help: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/35649/
>>
>> Could you explain why Selenium is considered to be non-free?
>
> Assuming you're referring to the 'python-selenum' package in Debian,
> Google throws up this:
>
>    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=636677
>
>    "the package ships some files which are not yet built from source."

This also matches our (as in openSUSE's) definition, python-selenium ships:

/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/selenium/webdriver/firefox/amd64/x_ignore_nofocus.so
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/selenium/webdriver/firefox/x86/x_ignore_nofocus.so
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/selenium/webdriver/firefox/webdriver.xpi

While in theory they could be build from source, it's simply too much
effort. Also, it depends on selenium (the Java thing) which to my
knowledge isn't part of any OSS distro because building Java packages is
the biggest PITA of all. Usually, such packages are available in
3rd-party repos. Still, we have to patch it away.
--
Sascha Peilicke
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany