[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Mellanox VIF Driver

Itzik Brown itzikb at dev.mellanox.co.il
Thu Jul 4 08:53:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

We released a code for a VIF Driver that will work with Mellanox Quantum
Plugin.
Mellanox plugin provisions Virtual Networks via embedded HCA switching
functionality (SR-IOV capability of Network adapter).

The code is here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/35189/

We allocate and assign probed SR-IOV VF (Virtual Function) as a Para
virtualized Interface of the instance.

We need to:
1)Allocate  device of probed VF
2)Give a name to the device in the XML that will allow us to supprot
live migration.

We have utility for managing embedded switch that allows VF assignment
and configuration.
We chose to use the vif['dev_name'] as a basis for the name of the
device. This allow us to use different devices on different hosts when
doing a migration.
When doing plug/unplug we are using a utility to allocate the device and
change it's name to the logical one.

This is basically it.
It's a temporary solution until there will be a solution that will
address all the issues regarding SR-IOV.
Boris Pavlovic is doing work regarding SR-IOV and we plan to help/adopt
this effort.
We want to ask for your opinion regarding the way we chose.

Thanks,
Itzik