[openstack-dev] Work around DB in OpenStack (Oslo, Nova, Cinder, Glance)

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Wed Jul 3 11:33:38 UTC 2013

Michael,

Actually my team is already working in Nova, around moving from
sqlalchemy-migrate to alembic.
We are doing first step: Syncing models and migrations.

But as I wrote there is a lot of things that should be done before
switching to another migration utils:
1) Sync our Schemas in different backends (in all projects)
2) Sync schemas with models (also there is a lot of hidden bugs in
migrations, that should be fixed)
3) Add tests that checks that models and migrations schemas are equal

And only then we will be able to rewrite our migrations without risk. (and
it is really huge task).

So I think that we shouldn't block our work around DB because of temporary
sqlalchemy-migrate monkey patches in oslo..

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic