[openstack-dev] Issues with "git review" for a dependent commit

Kyle Mestery (kmestery) kmestery at cisco.com
Tue Jul 2 20:14:35 UTC 2013

I'm trying to submit a gerrit review for a commit which is dependent on another person's commit [1]. I've followed the instructions here [2], and had no problems doing the branch create and the cherry pick of both the dependent and my own commits. However, when I go to commit, I get a gerrit error. Trying again yielded another commit going to the dependent commit, likely because I had to rebase both my change and the dependent commit. Has anyone seen anything like this? The error I see is below:

[kmestery at fedora-mac quantum]$ git review -R
You have more than one commit that you are about to submit.
The outstanding commits are:

5929516 (HEAD, bp/ml2-vxlan) Add VXLAN tunneling support for the ML2 plugin
91e0850 Add gre tunneling support for the ML2 plugin

Is this really what you meant to do?
Type 'yes' to confirm: yes
Enter passphrase for key '/home/kmestery/.ssh/id_rsa':
remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (32/32)
remote: Processing changes: updated: 1, refs: 2, done
To ssh://mestery@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/quantum.git
 ! [remote rejected] HEAD -> refs/publish/master/bp/ml2-vxlan (no changes made)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://mestery@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/quantum.git'
[kmestery at fedora-mac quantum]$

Thanks,
Kyle