[openstack-dev] Move keypair management out of Nova and into Keystone?

Jarret Raim jarret.raim at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jul 2 13:49:30 UTC 2013

I've spent some time thinking about how Barbican (Key Management) can help
in this workflow.

We will have the ability to generate SSH keys (and a host of other key &
certificate types). This is backed by cryptographically sound code and
we've spent some time figuring out the entropy problem and HSM support. If
the keys are stored in Barbican, we'd get the audit / logging and other
functionality needed for compliance. We also get federation which will
allow customers of public Clouds (or shared private Clouds) to maintain
custody of their own keys rather than storing them in the provider.

There seem to be a couple of ways to take advantage of this functionality.
If a key is specific to a user, then Keystone could store a URI to the key
in Barbican and Nova could request it on server creation. Alternatively,
the user could pass a URI to a key into Nova directly. If we want to move
to always enabling SSH key access only on boot, Nova could create a key
under the requesting tenant in Barbican and use it on server create.

Things get more interesting when we are talking about IPSec certificates
and the like. Barbican seems a more logical place to generate / store /
share these types of keys than Keystone.

I'm open to other options - we are going to build this type of
functionality and I'm interested in how people would like to use it.

Jarret